Tuesday 12 April 2016

Review: Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie

Title: Peter Pan
Author: J. M. Barrie
Edition: Parragon, 1994

Rating: ★★★★★

Synopsis
Peter Pan and Tinkerbell lead the three Darling children over the rooftops of London and away to Neverland - the island where the lost boys play. Magic and mischief is in the air but if villainous Captain Hook has his way, before long someone will be swimming with the crocodiles... (Taken from Waterstones.com)

Review

Peter Pan in a single word? Charming.

I thought that the Disney adaptation I know best was about as magical as it could get. Turns out I was wrong. *gasps of horror from me, the huge fan of Disney*. I realise that it wasn't exactly a literary choice, but the early 20th century language brings its own kind of magic, reading the story today. 


I was shocked for some reason, by how well all the adaptations I've seen have stuck to the original story. I loved reading lines and realising I'd heard it before, exactly the same way. 
I adored all the characters. Peter's mischievous manner is balanced perfectly by Wendy's sensibilities, and the lost boys have such well-written chemistry with one another. I particularly liked the scenes where they all talked over one another. While at times, it wasn't completely clear who was saying what, it didn't matter because they are the lost boys; they're more of a group than individuals. 

I think my favourite thing about Peter and Wendy's relationship is that they are clearly more than friends, but it's not quite romantic. She's lots of things to Peter, which is what makes it special, and although he will forever be young, looking for new people to fly away to Neverland, I'm left certain that no-one will ever be the same as Wendy. Which helped when I was reading the last chapter...

I nearly cried with the nostalgia of it. Looking back on it, it highlighted everything that Peter Pan was missing out on by refusing to grow up. From a writer's point of view, and having been studying writing for children, I can see how the main story allows children to indulge in the fantasy of never growing up, but at the end it explains both the good and bad, the realities, of leaving childhood behind. 

I'm not surprised at all by how many people have been inspired by Peter Pan. It's got a brilliant balance of fantasy and reality and endearing, heart-warming characters.

Favourite Quote
"They are not really friendly to Peter, who has a mischievous way of stealing behind them and trying to blow them out; but they are so fond of fun that they were on his side tonight, and anxious to get the grown ups out of the way. So as soon as the door of 27 closed on Mr and Mrs darling there was a commotion in the firmament, and the smallest of all the stars in the Milky Way screamed out: "Now, Peter!"


No comments:

Post a Comment