Thursday 14 January 2016

Review: Fans of the Impossible Life by Kate Scelsa

Title: Fans of the Impossible Life
Author: Kate Scelsa
Edition: Macmillan Children's Book (UK), 2015

Rating:★★★

Review

I've got to be honest. This book did not grab me. I was not immediately sucked into the story. It did grow on me though. Enough to earn itself three stars.

I didn't feel like the first half lived up to the 'impossible' part of it's title. By that, I think I mean that there was nothing particularly sensational in the story. 

That's just the beginning though. As I read on I realised that this is a GOOD BOOK. I'm not the most educated on mental illnesses, I've never suffered and I don't know many people who have, so I'm not in a position to criticise or compliment Scelsa on her portrayal of it. Having said that, I thought she dealt with it really well. She was sensitive but honest about it. She didn't romanticise or glamourise it. 

I also eventually fell in love with the friendship that Mira, Sebby and Jeremy shared. Despite only knowing each other for a fairly short amount of time, they understand one another perfectly. Then there's Rose, not quite a part of the group but she was still one of my favourite characters. 

The ending was sad but hopeful at the same time and I think that's important when talking about mental illness. There's often not much hope attached to any kind of mental illness but Fans of the Impossible Life had a hint of hope. It's subtle, but it's definitely there and I think that should be applauded. 

Scelsa used a split narrative which I really enjoyed, especially having Sebby's chapters so few and far between. It kept him at a distance so I was worried about him at the same time as Jeremy and Mira were. I wasn't so convinced about the change in person from one chapter to the next. The first and third person didn't bother me, but Sebby's second person chapters took a while to get used to. It was a brave thing to do and on reflection it allowed me to see a bit inside his head while still keeping me at a distance.  

I found that some of the loose ends weren't tied up which was a shame. For that reason, and that it took me a while to really get into it, I've given it three stars. 

Favourite Quote

"They rolled up the maps of their bodies until they were two continents of interlocking roads and rivers and dreams, and she thought, This is how I will learn to live again.

No comments:

Post a Comment